Curious about your home's energy consumption? Borrow a power check meter from the Library, monitor your usage, and find out how much your home appliances or electronic devices may be costing you in electricity bills.
How to get a Meter
- Place a hold for a meter in the catalog and have it sent to any of our locations for checkout.
- Or visit our Central, Waldo, or North-East locations for first-come, first-served checkout of available devices.
- Check out the device as you would a book: at the self-service machine or at the customer service desk.
- You can borrow the meter for 14 days with up to two renewals.
- Limit one device per library card. (Need a card? Get one now.)
- Return the device directly to a service desk inside any Library location. Please do not use drop boxes.
- Lost or damaged devices will incur a $30 replacement fee.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do these devices work?
Plug the meter into an electrical outlet, then plug in any appliance or electronic device. The meter will calculate how much energy your device uses, which can help you estimate how much it costs to power that device for a day, week, month, or even a year!
Whom do I contact if I need help?
For questions about using the meters or reading results, contact Evergy at 855.907.6930.
Where can I get help applying for utility assistance?
You can drop in the Central Library most weekdays to visit with Community Resources staff. Please refer to their web page for drop-in hours.
This program is a partnership between the Kansas City Public Library and Evergy.
To view device availability at Mid-Continent Library, please visit mymcpl.org/PowerCheck.
To learn more about the Power Check Device pilot program, visit Evergy.com/PowerCheck.
Please Note: Information shared on Evergy’s website will be stored and used by Evergy and will not be shared with the Kansas City Public Library or Mid-Continent Public Library. No information from a patron's library account will be shared with Evergy.