View our tax help information sheet or call the United Way of Greater Kansas City's 2-1-1 helpline.

To find locations hosting tax assistance near you, use the VITA/TCE Locator Tool or the AARP Site Locator Tool. The locator tools are updated throughout the filing season, so check back if you don’t see a nearby site listed. Also, please review the other online resources and tax help tools on including tax forms, instructions and publications, online payment methods and options to file with IRS Free File – free for most taxpayers.

MyFreeTaxes provides easy, free federal and state tax help for households with an adjusted gross income of $72,000/year or less and it’s brought to you by United Way. You can also call 866.698.9435.

You can use a my Social Security account to apply for a replacement Social Security card online if you:

  • Are a U.S. citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address (this includes APO, FPO, and DPO addresses);
  • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
  • Have a driver’s license or state-issued identification card from one of the many participating states or the District of Columbia.

You can use your mySocialSecurity account to request a replacement Social Security card, check the status of an application, estimate future benefits, or manage the benefits you already receive.

The IRS and Treasury have issued all first and second Economic Impact Payments. If you have questions about your payments, visit the Economic Impact Payments Information Center.

If you didn’t get any Economic Impact Payments or got less than the full amounts, you may qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit and must file a 2020 tax return to claim the credit even if you don’t normally file. See Recovery Rebate Credit for more information.

If you’re eligible for the credit, and either the IRS didn’t issue you any Economic Impact Payments or they issued less than the full amounts, you must file a 2020 tax return to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit even if you are not required to file a tax return for 2020. For more detailed information see the Recovery Rebate Credit Frequently Asked Questions.

Kansas City Area Assistance - Legal Aid of Western Missouri’s Legal Aid CARES Hotline - 1.800.990.2907 | M-F 9 am-4 pm