A library card is your pass to information, entertainment, education, and opportunity.
Get a Library Card Now!
Sign up online and we’ll set you up with a card instantly.
Renew, Update or Manage Existing Card
Already have a Kansas City Public Library card? Manage it online!
- Renew an expired card
- Update your mailing address, phone number and email
- Change or recover your PIN
Not sure if you have a card?
Go ahead and sign up. The system will allow you to recover an existing card on file.
Let the Borrowing Begin!
Time to let loose with your library card. Register a username in the Library’s catalog and start managing your library activity with a personalized profile.
No Late Fines
As a cardholder at the Kansas City Public Library, you enjoy Freedom from Fines. We don’t charge late fines on overdue items, and we don’t have fine-related restrictions on use of public computers or access to digital materials. Learn more about what this means for your borrowing habits.
Types of Library Cards
KC Area Residents
If you live in metropolitan Kansas City (Missouri or Kansas), you enjoy full access to KC Library services.
- Borrow physical items (books, DVDs, CDs) from any of our locations.
- Place holds on physical items in our catalog.
- Access our collection of digital services – eBooks, streaming music and movies, research databases, digital magazines and newspapers, and more.
- Use public computers at any KC Library location.
Out of Area Users
Even if you don’t reside in our service area, you can still use some Library privileges:
- Borrow a limited number of materials from our physical collections.
- Use public computers at any KC Library location
- Most digital resources are not available.
Kansas City Public School Students
Your Library Catalog Activity
Once you have a Library Card, you can use the online catalog to track your borrowing, holds and shelves. You can also leave ratings and comments for titles in our collection, make purchase recommendations and curate reading lists.
Library Card FAQs
I Lost My Card, What Should I Do?
Every year or two, the Library needs to check in with you to verify or update your name, mailing address, phone number or email address. This allows us to maintain accurate information for courtesy emails, overdue notices and other communication about your library account. You can renew by:
- Logging in to the Library Card Portal and reviewing your contact information.
- Calling 816.701.3400
- Visiting one of our library locations in person
- Talking with a librarian via our Live Chat services
- Emailing us
Do I Have to Sign Up for a Card Online?
I Forgot My PIN!
How Do I Change My PIN?
How Do I Change My Address, Phone, and/or Email?
Why Did I Receive a Card that Expires in 30 Days?