Doors open: 8 pm • Program: 8:45 pm
Three friends, Albert (Chris Rock), Euripides (Allen Payne), and Otis (Deezer D), are aspiring rappers with solid skills but no traction. After adopting fake personas, they become gangsta-rap group CB4 -- “Cell Block 4” -- and start racking up hits. But their act is under scrutiny from a politician (Phil Hartman) who wants to shut them down for obscenity, and escaped prisoner Gusto (Charlie Murphy) is after Albert for using his name and his street cred.
This title is Rated R and is recommended for adult audiences only.
This year the Library’s FREE Off-the Wall rooftop summer film series includes an eccentric playlist of comedies with song-centric storylines. Music-filled movies feature prep-school rockers, gangsta rappers, collegiate a cappella competitors, a young couple scouring the city for an elusive band, and a golden-throated carnivorous plant.
MAY 18: School of Rock (2003, 1 h 49 m, PG-13)
JUNE 15: CB4 (1993, 1 h 29 m, R)
JULY 20: Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (2008, 1 h 30 m, PG-13)
AUGUST 17: Little Shop of Horrors (1986, 1 h 43 m, PG-13)
SEPTEMBER 21: Pitch Perfect (2012, 1 h 52 m, PG-13)
Some tips and notes about how best to enjoy an evening of downtown KC skyline cinema on the Central Library's Rooftop Terrace:
- Bring your own blankets and folding chairs for seating.
- Enjoy complimentary popcorn provided by the Friends of the Library. Sample some locally brewed ales and lagers courtesy of KC Bier Co.
- You may bring outside food and non-alcoholic beverages (no glass containers, please!)
- Doors open at 8 p.m. (Note: The Central Library closes at 5 p.m. on Fridays, but the doors reopen at 8 p.m. for Off-the-Wall audiences.)
All movies begin at dusk (approximately 8:45 p.m.) In case of bad weather, screenings are moved indoors.
- Complimentary parking is available in the Library District parking garage at 10th and Baltimore. Bring your parking ticket for validation.
- Transit options: take KC Streetcar to the Library stop at 9th / Main or Ride KC buses to 10th / Main transit plaza.
Co-presented by the Young Friends of the Library.