The Kansas City Public Library brings the library to you! The Bookmobile ensures services are provided to those who experience difficulty visiting the library’s fixed facilities. Our goal is to connect you with access to the great resources the library has to offer.
What is the Bookmobile?
The Bookmobile is a FREE service and accessible to all who visit it. It creates a feeling of community wherever it goes. The Bookmobile has a semi-monthly schedule with most of its stops being either on 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th week rotations. Regular stops are on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Fridays feature Fun Fridays where the Bookmobile visits new and interesting places outside of its normally scheduled stops.
In addition to maintaining regular stops, the Bookmobile is also available to attend special community events.
Who Is eligible for this service?
To be considered for on-going Bookmobile service:
- Sites must be located within the Kansas City Public Library’s service area and at least one mile away from a library branch.
- Sites must have a sizable population of those who face barriers in accessing Kansas City Public Library’s fixed facilities.
- Sites must provide a sufficient level of safety as to not put staff and resources in jeopardy.
- Sites must be willing to provide the Bookmobile with assistance in communicating with their population.
- Sites must have direct in and out access for the 24 ft. Bookmobile vehicle and have ample room to maneuver and park.
- Sites should provide Bookmobile staff with access to restrooms.
- Sufficient staff and resources must be available to add the stop.
- Stop placement should allow cellular equipment and other electronic equipment to operate consistently.
- New stops will only be added at the beginning of a new scheduling period.
- Stops will be reevaluated every six months.
What services are available during Bookmobile stops?
Patrons who visit the Bookmobile will be able to do the following:
- Library card sign-up
- Check out books and movies for all ages
- Check out Chromebooks and Hotspots
- Request and pick up holds
- Return items from any KCPL branch
- Use free Wi-Fi
- Printing available
- Notary Services available by appointment
Cancelations, Inclement Weather, Extenuating Circumstances
In the event of inclement weather, vehicle maintenance, and other unforeseen problems, Bookmobile staff will notify the site of a canceled stop as soon as possible. Cancelations will also be announced on the Library’s social media.
Want the Bookmobile to stop at your location?
If you are interested in becoming a regular on-going Bookmobile stop, please fill out the online form or contact us by email to get on our waiting list.
The bookmobile may be available for a visit to your organization’s event! It may be available for community events such as parades, health fairs, festivals, etc. depending on staffing availability. However, the Bookmobile is unavailable for special events during regularly scheduled stops.
Special Event Guidelines
- Outreach events are not scheduled if they interfere with regularly scheduled stops.
- The location of the event must be in the Kansas City Public Library service area.
- For special events, the Bookmobile vehicle must have a reserved spot centrally located at the event.
We can offer the following services during special events:
- Library card sign-up
- Free books for all ages
- Internet Access
- Activities for all ages
Want the Bookmobile for your event?
If you are interested in scheduling a one-time visit, please submit the online request form or contact us by email. Please submit request form at least one month prior to the event, but no more than three months prior.