The Library's Pop In / Pick Up holds service offers a safe, easy, and contact-free way for you to borrow physical books, DVDs, and CDs.
When you receive a notice that your holds are ready, go to your selected pickup site and text or call the number posted on the signs. Once Library staff have checked out your materials, you can pop inside, pick up your holds, and pop out!
Please keep in mind that we may alter the scope and availability of this service as we follow Kansas City’s reopening plans and local, state, and national health guidelines. Our priority, as always, is ensuring the safety of Library staff and the public.
Thank you for your patience during this time – your Library is excited to be able to serve you!
Pop In / Pick Up Service Hours:
(as of July 9, 2020)
How it Works:
- Browse our catalog and find an item you want to borrow.
- Select a pickup location from the list of available sites.
- When your materials are available, the Library will email you a notice that your holds are ready at the location you selected.
- Come to your selected pickup site during designated operating hours. When you arrive, text or call the number posted on signs near parking areas to let staff know you are outside and ready to get your holds.
- Library staff will automatically check out your materials to your account when you notify us you have arrived.
- Our staff will place your holds on a pick-up table inside. Your checked-out materials will be bundled with an attached sign with your last name, the last four digits of your Library card number, and the pick-up date.
- Patrons can enter the Library to get their holds one at a time. The Pop In / Pick Up station will be in the lobby area.
- Pop in, pick up your holds, and pop out!
- When you bring back your items to the Library, please deposit them in the outdoor returns boxes.
Questions about your holds? Contact us at 816.701.3400, and we’ll be glad to assist.
Pop In / Pick Up Frequently Asked Questions
- Why are holds pickup hours and days different than usual?
- What is the Library doing to ensure that the materials I check out are safe?
- When can I pick up my holds once I’ve been notified they’re ready?
- Do I need to bring my Kansas City Public Library card with me?
- Where exactly do I go when I arrive?
- Do I need to wear a mask?
- Can my children accompany me as I pick up my materials?
- Should I be prepared to wait in line?
- Can I request that my holds be brought out to my car?
- Can I browse the shelves or check my email on a Library computer while I’m picking up my holds?
- How long will it take to get an item I placed on hold?
- Once my holds are available, how long do I have to pick them up?
- When does my checkout period actually start?
- What if I no longer need or want the items I have on hold?
- How long do I have to return materials?
- What if I have other questions about my holds?