The Kansas City Public Library’s Book a Browse - Youth appointment service lets families, caregivers, and kids schedule a time to come and safely explore the shelves in our youth areas. Make a reservation, visit the Library to browse in designated areas, and borrow books and other materials to enjoy!
Groups of up to ten people (including infants and toddlers) may reserve one hour to browse the children’s collection at participating library locations.
Please note this service is currently offered only at the Library locations listed below;
we hope to expand it to more locations soon.
Reserve browsing time one of three ways:
Please be aware that we occasionally will make changes to this process, including the expansion of locations and hours, as public health trends evolve. For the latest updates on all Library services, visit kclibrary.org/coronavirus.
Book a Browse - Youth Schedule
- You must sign up in advance to reserve time to browse the youth collection. Reservations may be made no earlier than three days in advance. Out of respect for other visitors, please make only one reservation per week.
- We require all patrons over the age of two to wear a mask, covering both your mouth and nose, while in the library. We are also requiring social distancing of at least six feet between people. If you need to interact with staff, please stand in front of the plexiglass screens.
- Arrive at the Library no more than 15 minutes before or 15 minutes later than your scheduled start time. If you are more than 15 minutes late, we will be unable to accommodate your group and you'll need to make a new reservation.
How It Works
- When you arrive at the Library, signs will direct you to the youth browsing area. A staff member will be waiting for you.
- You may bring your own bag to carry your checked-out items, or we can give you a paper bag when you arrive.
- If you take a book from a shelf but choose not to check it out, please place it in specially marked bins placed throughout the area.
- At the end of your appointment, please collect your belongings, check out your selected materials using the self-check kiosk, and exit through the same door you entered.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make an appointment to browse the youth area shelves if I don’t have internet access?
How do I make an appointment in person?
Staff at participating Library locations can help you schedule an appointment for a future date. Due to limited sessions, same-day appointments are not available at this time.
Do I need a Library card?
You don’t need a card to make the reservation. If you want to check out materials, you will need a Kansas City Public Library card. If you do not have one, you can sign up for one online at kclibrary.org/ecard.
Why are hours limited?
To follow social distancing guidelines and ensure the health and safety of Library patrons and staff, we are limiting the hours in each building depending on its size and staff availability.
Do I get a notification when my reservation has gone through?
If reserving online, you will get an email confirmation of your appointment.
When do I need to show up for my scheduled appointment?
Arrive at the Library no more than 15 minutes before or 15 minutes later than your scheduled start time. If you are more than 15 minutes late, we will be unable to accommodate you and you'll need to make a new reservation.
Do I need to wear a mask to enter the Library?
We require all patrons older than age 2 to wear masks, covering both mouth and nose, while in the Library and in the Community Connection Rooms. We also require individuals to adhere to social distancing, remaining at least 6 feet apart. If you need to interact with staff, please stand in front of the plexiglass dividers.
What steps are being taken to ensure the browsing area is safe for my family?
In between appointments staff are disinfecting all commonly touched surfaces and furniture, swapping out toys, and moving all handled books into quarantine. A sanitizing station will be available at the entrance, and we can provide masks if needed and gloves if desired.
Where do I go when I arrive?
Signs will direct you to the children’s collection browsing area. A staff member will be waiting to check you in.
Can adults use the Library?
Adults using the children’s collection are welcome. We will also have a limited selection of adult new books available to browse. All other materials from the adult collection may be accessed through the Library’s online catalog and our Pop In / Pick Up holds service. Browsing the main area of the Library is not currently allowed. As public health guidelines and recommendations change, we hope to be able to resume more of our regular services.
Can I bring a friend's children too?
You may bring people who are not in your family as long as there are no more than 10 people total.
One of my kids has a cold, but it’s not Covid-19. Can they still come to the Library?
For everyone’s health and safety, anyone feeling ill or experiencing coronavirus-like symptoms stay at home until you are well. If you want to get some materials call 816.701.3597 and a youth services librarian can assist you.
We left something during our visit! What do we do?
We will contact the reservation holder if we find anything. All items will be held through the next business day only, then discarded.
What if I need to cancel my reservation?
Call 816.701.3400 and one of our librarians will cancel your reservation for you.