Our theme, Dare to Discover, is a nod to our collective spacefaring legacy and ambitions to explore the unknown. But it’s also an invitation — and a challenge — to use the Library and its resources to learn, grow, and endeavor to know more about our world and how it works. Science is the pursuit of knowledge with the goal of giving us greater understanding; libraries provide open access to knowledge so that everyone may pursue it. Discovery happens daily in libraries.
Adults and youth alike will be given a little space to read . We’ll be covering supernovas and super novels, rockets and robots, cosmic classics and futuristic fiction. Our mad scientist librarians have cooked up some stellar Suggested Reading titles to get you started.
The Library has put together a universe of stories for young readers of all sorts: Picture books, young adult fiction, graphic novels, and more. Plus, kids and teens who register for Summer Reading are eligible to have their existing fines and fees vaporized.
Adult readers won’t only explore celestial shelves; we’re also tackling all things science fact and fiction. Blast off with books about how our bodies work. Learn about the wonders of the natural world, from amoebas to zebras. Experiment with titles about today’s technology. Open your mind to out-there ideas and theories posed by scholars, artists, and dreamers.
Read five books, Earn a Prize!
- The Summer Reading formula is simple: Read five books between June 1 and July 31, 2019. Pick enjoyable, lively reads in your preferred format, log them online, and earn a reward.
- Sign up yourself or the entire family, and everyone gets a free book just for registering.
- Kids and teens participating in Summer Reading are eligible to have existing fines and fees erased.
- You can select official Suggested Reading picks for youth, teens, or adults, but like the cosmos, your choices are infinite. You can read any five books in any format – hardcover, audiobook, eBooks, graphic novels... everything counts!
- Log your five reads online using the Beanstack service or the new Beanstack Tracker mobile app for iPhone or Android. (Paper forms also available at your neighborhood Library location. PDF download here.)
- Earn an out-of-this-world prize:
- Ages 0-5: Sippy cup (*Note: Cups available after June 15)
- Ages 6-18: Light-up plastic cup
- Adults: Pint glass
Books... and Beyond
- Share your Summer Reading experience on social media, tagging your posts with #KCSummerReads.
- Attend a Summer Reading event or activity at various Library locations.
- Join other biblionauts and take part in a Summer Reading book discussion group.
- Find other tips and resources to help you make the most of this year's Summer Reading.