Called to Care: Legacy of Trinity Lutheran Hospital School of Nursing, 1906-1972
Through artifacts, uniforms, and infographic panels, journey in time from the early days of nursing in Kansas City through the 1972 closure of the prominent Trinity Lutheran Hospital School of Nursing. Begun as the Swedish Hospital in 1906, the school eventually trained 900 young women as nurses in an intensive, three-year program.
Some of the young women went on to join the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps and later the Army Nurse Corps. Other graduates became flight attendants – certification as a registered nurse was one of many airline requirements at the time.
Called to Care is an intergenerational exhibition offering an overview of the progression of the nursing profession at a time when its importance is more apparent than ever.