“Nobody will ever deprive the American people of the right to vote except the American people themselves—and the only way they could do that is by not voting.”
- President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 5 October 1944
The Kansas City Public Library is committed to its mission of providing a doorway to knowledge for all people in our community. Please contact us if you have any questions or suggestions for developing this collection.
You can register to vote or update your voter registration at any KC Public Library location.
You can register to vote in Kansas City (within Jackson Country) if you:
- Will be 18 by the time of the next election
- Are a resident of Kansas City, within Jackson County, and a United States citizen
- Are not judicially declared incompetent
- Are pardoned, discharged or released from any felony conviction
- Have never been convicted of any crime related to voting.
Note: You will need to re-register to vote if you have moved, if you have changed your name, or if you have completed a felony sentence.
You can register to vote:
- In person at any permanent voter registration sites (which includes any KCPL location!)
- By mailing a printed copy of this Voter Registration Form to:
Kansas City Election Board
30 West Pershing Rd., Suite 2800
Kansas City, MO 64108
Note:You will need to provide proof of identification when registering in-person. Acceptable forms of ID are:
- Current ID issued by the state of Missouri, an agency of the state, or a local election authority of the state (like a Missouri driver’s license)
- Current ID issued by the United States government or agency (like a passport or military ID)
- Current ID issued by an institution of higher education, including a university, college, vocational or technical school located within the state of Missouri
- A copy of a utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that contains the name and current address of the registrant
Not sure if you are still registered to vote? Check your voter registration status online.
For voters needing accessibility options, see the list provided by the Kansas City Board of Elections.
Congratulations on registering as a voter! Voting is a great responsibility and you can make the most of your democratic right as you learn more about who or what you are asked to consider as a voter. Here are some sites that can help:
Provided by the League of Women Voters Education Fund, VOTE411.org is a "one-stop-shop" for election related information. Learn where candidates running for office in your community stand on the issues. You can print or email the information to use as a reference when you actually vote.
A nonpartisan, nonprofit “consumer advocate” for voters that apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship to increase both public knowledge and understanding.
View current and upcoming ordinances in our city, and read the full charter of the city of Kansas City, MO.
For complete information about voting in Kansas City within Jackson County, please visit the Kansas City Election Board, the local election authority. If you are not in Kansas City within Jackson County, please see your county's election board website.