Available at the Westport, Trails West & Ruiz Branches
How Does It Work?
Download a Passport Services Reference Guide
You may now apply for an official U.S. Passport at the Westport, Trails West, or Ruiz Branch of the Kansas City Public Library!
Simply bring in the completed application forms (available at these Branches), meet with a Library employee, pay the applicable fees, and we will take it from there!
- See our Passport Checklist below to make sure you have the correct items when you are ready to apply.
- See our Fee Information below to make sure you have the correct forms & amounts for payment.
No appointment necessary—passport services are available during regular business hours at these Library locations. Passport service ends one hour before closing time.
(Get directions or check current hours >)
All applicants MUST be present, regardless of age.
Our Library Branches offer passport services for NEW applicants.
To renew your passport, please fill out and mail in form DS-82 (which is also available at the Westport, Trails West, and Ruiz Branches). The Library does not process passport renewal applications.
Passport application forms are available to fill out when you arrive at the Branch. If you want to have your application form filled out before you come in, download it at travel.state.gov (DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport). Fill out your application form in black ink and leave it unsigned—do not sign the application until instructed to do so during the application process.
Your completed application (Filled out in black ink — UNSIGNED)
- Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport
- Do not sign application until instructed to do so during the application process
Proof of U.S. Citizenship (Any of the following — must bring original, or certified copy PLUS an additional copy)
* Also requires submission of certified Birth Certificate if applicant is age 15 or younger
- Birth Certificate issued by the city, county, or state
- Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport *
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Naturalization Certificate * or Certificate of Citizenship *
Primary identification (Any of the following PLUS a copy showing both front and back of the ID — must readily identify the applicant)
- Valid Driver's License; if out-of-state, may need additional ID
- Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport
- Naturalization Certificate
- Current Military ID (military or dependents) or Government ID (city, state or federal)
- Applicants age 16 & 17: Parent/legal guardian may present Primary ID if minor applicant does not have one
Appearing parent/legal guardian (For applicants age 15 and younger)
- Applicants age 15 and younger need both parents/legal guardian(s) present to apply
- If only one parent/legal guardian can appear, form DS-3053 must be submitted with application
- If one parent/guardian has sole custody, certified proof of sole legal custody must be submitted
- Applicants age 16 & 17: it is recommended that at least one parent appear in person with the applicant to show parental awareness
One passport photo
- One official color photograph taken with the past 6 months
- Photograph should be 2" x 2", full-face, front view, with a plain white or off-white background
- The Kansas City Public Library is not currently offering passport photo services. Metro area Walgreens and CVS stores are among retailers offering passport photo services that meet official guidelines.
Payment for Applicable Fees: TWO FEES are required at the time of application
See Fee Information below for a more detailed breakdown of applicable fees.
- Check or money order made payable to the U.S. Dept. of State for passport fee (cost varies) AND
- $35 execution fee to be paid to the Kansas City Public Library. For the execution fee ONLY, the Library accepts, cash, credit/debit card, check, or money order made payable to the Kansas City Public Library.
Please note that there are TWO SEPARATE FEES for a passport application. You will need to submit a SEPARATE PAYMENT for each fee.
- Execution Fee: Payable to Kansas City Public Library
- Passport Fee: Payable to U.S. Department of State
Please note that Passport Execution Fees are non-refundable and the Kansas City Public Library is not liable for any missed travel.
Which passport or products do you need?
Passport Card *
Passport Book + Card
Cash, debit/credit cards, check, or money order accepted for execution fees.
Make payable to: Kansas City Public Library
$35 for all passport products
Check or money order ONLY. Cash or debit/credit cards CANNOT by accepted for passport fees.
Make check or money order payable to: U.S. Department of State
Under age 16:
Under age 16:
Under age 16:
Add $60 per application (Payable to U.S. Dept. of State)
Overnight Delivery Service
$26 (Payable to Kansas City Public Library)
Overnight Delivery Return Service
Add $16.48 per application (Payable to U.S. Dept. of State)
* A passport card is a wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings or ports-of-entry by sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a smaller, more convenient, and less expensive alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or sea.
A passport card cannot be used for international air travel. (See this page for more information.)
For more information, printable forms, and current passport fees visit travel.state.gov.