The Kansas City Public Library is committed to connecting our community to information resources. In addition to the tax forms and information you’ll find here, the library will host TaxSlayer workshops at multiple locations and AARP-Tax Aide clinics at our Plaza and Waldo locations during the 2020 Tax season.
The IRS has created a new website with relevant coronavirus information. They will keep the website updated, including how high-deductible health plans can cover coronavirus costs.
Tax Help update: The IRS and Missouri DOR have extended the tax filing and tax payment deadline from April 15, 2020 to July 15, 2020. If you need help filing your federal taxes, check out the IRS YouTube channels (available in multiple languages) https://go.usa.gov/xdetK, as well as Missouri's DOR website: https://dor.mo.gov/personal/
IRS in Kansas City in Union Station
30 West Pershing Rd. Suite 600, KCMO 64108
Mon through Fri: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Missouri State forms:
State Office Building
615 E. 13th St., KCMO 64105
Mon through Fri: 8 am - 5 pm
Kansas City Tax forms:
City Hall - Revenue Division - 2nd Floor
414 E. 12th St.
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
Free Tax Preparation
Note: Library staff are NOT tax experts. All questions are to go through the tax service preparers. Call 2-1-1 for assistance.
AARP Tax-Aide At the Library
During Tax Season (February - April), representatives from AARP will be on hand to assist seniors with low to moderate income with their federal and state (Missouri and Kansas) income tax returns.
***NOTE: All AARP tax appointment slots for the season at the Waldo Branch are full. Please visit connectingforgood.org/programs/taxprep for a list of other local sites offering tax assistance.***
Connecting for Good
Free tax help is available for taxpayers with income less than $60,000 who cannot prepare their own tax returns.
Free tax preparation of federal and state returns to low-/moderate-income working families in the Kansas City metro area.
Provides easy-to-use software that is designed specifically for the military community.
VITA Tax with KCPD
KCPD is working with dedicated partners to provide free tax preparation services for community members who could not otherwise afford it.
DO-IT-YOURSELF TAX HELP SESSIONS
What to bring to your tax help appointment
- A current email address (with the correct password)
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents (Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN)
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- All 1095 Forms, Health Insurance Statements
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Direct deposit and/or banking information
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Proof of daycare expenses with provider name, address and ID number
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
HELP WITH TAX ISSUES
Internal Revenue Service: Interactive Tax Assistant
Popular Topics in the Interactive Tax Assistant:
Kansas City Tax Clinic
Provides free, high quality representation to those who could not otherwise afford professional assistance.
Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic
Free legal resources are available to help low-income families with tax-related problems from prior years. To qualify, income needs to be below $31,225 for individuals or under $64,375 for a family of four.
Other Free Tax Services
Internal Revenue Service
Find free services to Free File through the IRS.
For the latest news from the IRS on recent changes this tax season such as the annual inflation adjustment, check the New Events section.
Provides easy, free tax help for households with an adjusted gross income of $66,000/year or less, brought to you by United Way and powered by H&R Block's safe and secure software.
Affordable Care Act Tax Questions
Tools are available for individuals who have questions about their tax filing responsibilities under the Affordable Care Act.