Tax Assistance

The Kansas City Public Library is committed to connecting our community to information resources.

The IRS has created a new website with relevant coronavirus information. They will keep the website updated, including how high-deductible health plans can cover coronavirus costs.

Paper Forms:

Federal forms:

IRS in Kansas City in Union Station
30 West Pershing Rd. Suite 600, KCMO 64108
Mon through Fri: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

Missouri State forms:

State Office Building
615 E. 13th St., KCMO 64105
Mon through Fri: 8 am - 5 pm

Kansas City Tax forms:

City Hall - Revenue Division - 2nd Floor
414 E. 12th St.
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm

Free Tax Preparation

Note: Library staff are NOT tax experts. All questions are to go through the tax service preparers. Call 2-1-1 for assistance.

AARP Tax-Aide At the Library

During Tax Season (February - April), representatives from AARP will be on hand to assist seniors with low to moderate income with their federal and state (Missouri and Kansas) income tax returns.

Connecting for Good

Free tax help is available for taxpayers with income less than $60,000 who cannot prepare their own tax returns.


Free tax preparation of federal and state returns to low-/moderate-income working families in the Kansas City metro area.


Provides easy-to-use software that is designed specifically for the military community.

VITA Tax with KCPD

KCPD is working with dedicated partners to provide free tax preparation services for community members who could not otherwise afford it.


E-file your taxes for free using Users will be asked to create an account when they use this free service.

What to bring to your tax help appointment

  • A current email address (with the correct password)
  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security cards or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents (Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN)
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • All 1095 Forms, Health Insurance Statements
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Direct deposit and/or banking information
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  • Proof of daycare expenses with provider name, address and ID number
  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable


Internal Revenue Service: Interactive Tax Assistant

Provides answers to several tax law questions, such as determining your filing status, if you can claim dependents, if you have to file a tax return.

Kansas City Tax Clinic

Provides free, high quality representation to those who could not otherwise afford professional assistance.

Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic

Free legal resources are available to help low-income families with tax-related problems from prior years. To qualify, income needs to be below $31,225 for individuals or under $64,375 for a family of four.

Other Free Tax Services

Internal Revenue Service

Find free services to Free File through the IRS.

For the latest news from the IRS on recent changes this tax season such as the annual inflation adjustment, check the New Events section.


Provides easy, free tax help for households with an adjusted gross income of $66,000/year or less, brought to you by United Way and powered by H&R Block's safe and secure software.

Affordable Care Act Tax Questions

Tools are available for individuals who have questions about their tax filing responsibilities under the Affordable Care Act.

Other Tax Resources