Tech Coaches Needed--Drop in Sessions and Appointments
As a Tech Coach Volunteer at Kansas City Public Library, you can help adults in Kansas City across the digital divide by providing guidance and direct assistance with basic computer and internet skills, individual projects like creating and editing documents in Word and Excel, and so much more! Tech Coaches are key to the Library's ability to provide digital literacy services for adult patrons and commit a minimum of 4 hours per month for six months. Morning, afternoon or evening times are available, Monday – Saturday. Training and ongoing support are provided.
Drop In Sessions
Sign up to be the Tech Coach on-duty! We have designated drop in sessions at multiple locations where patrons can walk up to get help on a first come, first served basis. For example, a patron may need help downloading and printing a file from their email, logging on to a website or formatting a document. We list the drop in sessions in the volunteer portal and you sign up for the sessions you want!
Often our learners have specific questions or goals and learn most efficiently through direct and personal assistance. Based on YOUR schedule and availability, you can accept digital learning appointment requests from patrons. The library will provide computers and safe space for you to help patrons reach their personal digital literacy goals. We announce available appointments and you sign up to take the ones you want.
Where we Serve
- Southeast Branch, 6242 Swope Parkway
- North-East Branch, 6000 Wilson Rd
- Plaza Library, 4801 Main St
- Waldo Library, 201 E. 75th St
- Bluford Branch, 3050 Prospect Ave
- Various community partner locations in KCMO
Qualifications and benefits
- Excellent computer skills, including the ability to use the Internet and email with ease
- Ability to communicate in an effective, supportive way with learners
- Flexibility and patience
- Respect for differences in culture and learning styles
- Interest in digital literacy and adult education
- Job skills, professional reference, resume enhancement and networking opportunities within the community
- Knowledge that your efforts are helping others reach their personal goals and cross the digital divide in Kansas City
- Experience with persons from a variety of educational and cultural backgrounds
Get started or learn more
Can't decide which role is best for you? No need to decide right away. The next step is the same regardless of the option you choose. Join us for one of our upcoming information sessions to learn more. Simply complete the application and choose the upcoming information session you would like to attend.
Questions? Send us an email or call us at 816.701.3593.