MENTORS NEEDED - LAUNCHCODE'S DISCOVERY
Launchcode’s Discovery program is seeking volunteers who will mentor adult patrons currently taking the online Discovery course. As a Launchcode Discovery Mentor at The Kansas City Public Library, you will provide guidance and direct assistance to students in the subjects of math and basic programming. A minimum commitment of four (4) hours a month for six (6) months is required. Training and ongoing support are provided.
Where Volunteers Serve:
4801 Main St, Kansas City, MO 64112
Every Friday from 6-8pm
Next Volunteer Training:
The Kansas City Public Library offers a 1-hour Tech Coach information and training session twice each month,
at the Plaza Branch 4801 Main St. KCMO
Second Tuesdays and Third Thursdays
Qualifications and Benefits
Please look over Launchcode's Discovery syllabus, you must feel comfortable answering questions that pertain to this syllabus.
- Excellent computer skills
- A firm grasp of basic math concepts (High School math)
- A basic understanding of object oriented programming languages, preferably Python
- Ability to communicate in an effective and supportive way with learners
- Flexibility and patience
- Fluency in reading, speaking and writing English
- Able to work independently in a community computer lab
- Interest in digital literacy and adult education
- Job skills, professional reference, resume enhancement and networking opportunities within the community
- Knowledge that your efforts are helping others reach their personal goals and cross the digital divide in Kansas City
- Experience with persons from a variety of educational and cultural backgrounds
Get started or learn more
Can't decide which roles is best for you? No need to decide right away. The next step is the same regardless of the role you choose. Join us for one of our upcoming information sessions. Simply complete the application and choose the upcoming information session you would like to attend.
For more information, send us an email or call us at 816.701.3593.