Stories to Go is a unique opportunity for adult volunteers to share fun and engaging storytimes with children in local, underserved day cares and early learning centers.
At this time, the Library is not accepting applications for volunteers.
Kansas City Public Library’s Stories to Go program aims to promote early literacy amongst the city’s youngest learners. The program offers adults in the community a unique volunteer opportunity to lead fun, engaging storytimes at local, underserved preschools and daycares.
After completing brief online and in-person training sessions, volunteers will be matched with a daycare or preschool that coordinates with their location and schedule preferences. During each storytime, volunteers will be equipped with a Stories to Go kit that includes five picture books, song and activity suggestions, and craft materials. Every kit has a different inclusive and educational theme, so each storytime will be unique.
Volunteers are asked to visit their story time site once a month and lead a story time that is approximately 30 minutes long. The program’s goal is to offer a mutually enjoyable experience for the volunteer storyteller, the young listeners, and the teacher or leader of the host site.
If you are interested in volunteering for Stories to Go and able to commit one hour (with travel), once a month to visit a preschool or day care, please review the requirements below.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Possess a valid KCPL library card.
- At this time, the Library is not accepting applications for volunteers.
- Watch two training videos focused on the importance of literacy and early learning.
- Attend a two-hour, in-person storytime training session led by KCPL librarians.
- Complete a background check provided by the library.
- Visit your storytime site once a month for 30 minutes.
Volunteer Story Time Duties
- Check out a Stories to Go storytime kit filled with themed picture books, songs, and crafts at any Kansas City Public Library branch.
- Travel to your designated Stories to Go site once a month to lead storytime.
- Lead a 30-minute storytime filled with stories, songs, and fun!
- Fill out a brief survey at the end of each storytime to offer insight on your experience.
- Return the Stories to Go kit to any library branch.
- Get ready for your visit next month!
Information for Host Sites
Are you a day care or early learning center that’s interested in hosting a trained storytime volunteer once a month? Please fill out this short survey to let us know.
Questions? Please contact the Stories to Go Coordinator. Click here to send us an email.