Get the education or training necessary to meet the requirements of your chosen career. From high school to college, we have the tools to help you climb the career ladder.
- Career Online High School: Get your high school diploma completely online through this accredited program. You must meet certain admission criteria and be accepted in the program.
- Learning Express Library: Take online practice exams for the GED or HiSET and you'll be ready for test day (Library card and PIN required).
- In-person test prep: The North Kansas City School's adult education and literacy group offers free, in-class test prep classes for those interested in obtaining their high school equivalency credential. Other prep classes throughout the state of Missouri are also offered.
- State of Missouri—HiSET requirements: Learn what you need to study for the test, eligibility requirements, testing locations, and how to register for it.
- Test prep library resources: "Check out" these practice books for all kinds of tests and certification exams.
VOCATIONAL & TRADE SCHOOLS
- Career Colleges and Technical Schools (U.S. Dept. of Education): Trade and vocational programs are a great alternative to a traditional 4-year college degree. Learn if this might be the right option for you.
- Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges: Use the Directory feature to find an accredited career/trade school near you.
Once you graduate from an accredited vocational program you may be required to take certified exams for state licensure. Here are resources that can guide you in the right direction.
- Learning Express Library: Prepare for career licensure exams by taking practice tests in fields like cosmetology, EMS, plumbing, nursing and many more (Library card number and PIN required to access).
- Missouri Division of Professional Registration: Check state licensure requirements for various professions.
TECHNOLOGY TRAINING RESOURCES
- Northstar: Knowing how to use a computer is increasingly important in our world. This resource can assess your digital skills. Earn Northstar certificates and prove to future employers you have the digital skills necessary for employment.
- DigitalLearn.org: Sign up for a Digital Learn account with your library card number to learn about computer basics, Microsoft Office apps and more.