The Kansas City Public Library offers dozens of digital resources that provide endless educational and entertainment opportunities for everyone with a library card. Here is a summary of some changes and new developments.
New Digital Resources
We evaluate current and potential subscriptions every year with the goal of providing a suite of the easiest, most fun, and highest quality digital resources. As of July 1, 2017, we will be offering the following new digital services:
- Access hundreds of new and best-selling eBook and Audiobook titles with our Digital New & Notable collection. Available on the Axis 360 platform, you can browse the collection online and read in your browser or via the mobile app.
- The Kanopy platform specializes in international, independent, and documentary films, including the Criterion Collection. Stream thousands of movies in your browser or via the Kanopy Roku app. Visit Kanopy now
- We will be upgrading our Novelist subscription to the Novelist Plus product. This offers all the same great recommendations and series and author information, with added coverage for nonfiction and audiobooks. We will also offer NoveList K-8 Plus focusing on books for younger readers.
- Learn something new with Universal Class. Hundreds of self-guided courses are available covering topics such as event planning, cooking, business writing, candle making, estate planning, and public speaking.
- Plan your next international adventure with Global Road Warrior, a comprehensive travel and culture database. It provides information about language, customs, cuisine, crime, government, and more for 175 countries across the globe.
New Libby app from OverDrive
Are you an OverDrive user? The service recently unveiled a new and improved app called Libby that offers an easy experience, particularly for people who are new to Library eBooks. While the current OverDrive app will remain available, Libby is quickly becoming the service's recommended reading experience.
Download Libby and try it now! iOS | Android
Farewell to OverDrive Magazines
OverDrive has discontinued its relationship with Nook, and no longer offers current digital magazines on its platform. We evaluated other periodical services in the Library market but did not identify a suitable replacement. We will continue to seek out a solution for digital magazines over the coming year.
Discover all the Library's Digital Branch has to offer... we're always open!
eBooks | Digital Audiobooks | Music | Video | Comics | eBooks for Kids | Magazines & Newspapers | Online Learning | Research Databases | Homework Help | Apps