Its official launch Friday, September 23, offers a more mobile-friendly user experience and reflects extensive research into what patrons are seeking from kclibrary.org. In short: we made it easier to help you find what you need, when you need it.
Our old website was created over eight years ago and needed a reboot to make it easier for patrons and staff to use. It also did not adapt well to mobile devices. The new website changes its layout to accommodate screens of any size and shape. Now you can access the full spectrum of the Library’s resources and services, search for events and activities, find books, movies, music, and more.
Other notable features or improvements:
- An enhanced Readers Services page, including a new personalized reading profile form that gives you custom recommendations curated by our rock star librarians.
- A more robust Books section, where you can browse by new arrivals, genres, or your reading preference – hard copy, eBook, audiobook, or large print.
- New Kids and Teens pages where parents and youth can find all sorts of great content.
- Each Library location now has its own page highlighting its unique activities and events.
- Improved access and organization of the digital databases and special resources.
- The entire site is now easy to use with your phone or tablet; no special apps needed.
- You can look forward to a brand new online catalog and updated local history website in the coming weeks.
The Library actually has offered a “sneak peek” at the new website since August 30, soliciting feedback from users. Three-quarters were happy with the change, saying it bettered their browsing and searching experience. Many appreciated the cleaner, less cluttered, more up-to-date look. “The layout is wonderful, much more inviting and engaging!” said one. “Thank you all!”
To those worried about losing content from the old site: Do not fret. Everything’s still there and then some. And the old site will still be accessible for a limited time, because we recognize change can be hard. You can still pay respects at old.kclibrary.org until December 1, 2016.
The Library is doing so many great things, and we needed a more flexible website to navigate its array of programs, services, and initiatives without overwhelming users. We believe the new kclibrary.org does that, and we hope you do too.
By Laura McCallister, Digital Content Specialist